Wednesday 1 October 2014

Netrunner


One of my longer term goals has been to set up a general purpose workstation VM on MediaServer8. I've toyed with a few Linux variants but recently decided to try Netrunner. The 'rolling' version  is an ArchLinux distro with KDE based on Manjaro.

It was a bit fiddly to set up and get GPU passthrough working. This is not aided by the fact that the display does not switch on until very late in the boot process so unless running via VNC, you can't see what's going on.

A little coaxing and persuasion, however, combined with a good deal of patience paid dividends and I got a consistently reliable boot with GPU passthrough.

As an added bonus, I discovered that I can even connect two displays to the HD5450 card and both will be driven for an extended desktop.

No comments: