Wednesday 10 July 2019

OpenVPN via tethered connection - no root, no PC software installs

A while back, I'd installed an OpenVPN docker on my unRaid server to allow me access home systems remotely. It worked for a while, but recently I'd been unable to use it as a lot of computers I use away from home are locked down by corporate IT.

I'd installed OpenVPN client on my Android phone, thinking I could tether from a PC and access home systems that way. No dice. It turns out Android specifically restricts tethered connections accessing VPN connections due to security concerns. Workarounds are either root the android device, or install some kind of proprietary tethering. The first I didn't want to do, the second I couldn't as the PC does not permit software installs.

I was about to give up when I came across Every Proxy, a very simple android app that installs a https or SOCKS proxy server. Now, when I tether my android to PC (WiFi or USB), I can enter the proxy details in the browser config. and, hey presto, the PC can access the OpenVPN tunnel to my home server and I can access unRaid or any of my VMs (via vnc).


Yay!

No comments: