Monday 18 January 2021

Worth a Watch: DCX MMXVI



I don't really do content reviews on this blog, but this weekend I rewatched the live concert Blu-Ray included with The Dixie Chicks DXC MMXVI Live CD set and it blew me away all over again, so I thought I'd share!

I wouldn't call myself a Dixie Chicks fan per se, (or 'The Chicks' as they are now known). I have one of their CDs and know a few of the songs, but I don't know very much about them, their names, background etc. However, being a fan of live music videos, I picked up this set a few years on the basis that it included the concert blu ray, and was I pleasantly surprised.

This concert is sublime in many ways. Initially striking is the concert production. The first half sports a distinctive monochrome aesthetic that's presented in a crisp relief that simply jumps off the screen. Who needs 3D! The show looks amazing, and the blu-ray does it justice with a clarity and sharpness that's perfect.

And it sounds great too. I listened to the uncompressed 5.1 audio track and it's excellent with very clear separation between instruments, great mixing, perfect vocal presentation and an unobtrusive but genuinely live feel.


The second half of the show takes on a looser feel, starting with a somewhat acoustic set where the full band arrange themselves on wooden boxes at the front of the stage and run through a repertoire of originals and covers, culminating in the three chicks performing 'Travellin Soilder' by themselves.

And it's worth noting the musicianship on display. The Chicks are multi-instrumentalists themselves and the backing band are excellent and bring the characteristic full-on bluegrass-tinged country/rock sound to life. I didn't think I needed to hear Prince's 'Nothing Compares 2 U' with fiddle and electric dobro solos, but there's not much wrong with it.

The final segment reverts to full band, full stage and the minimal black & white theme is diminished in that some instruments appear that have a splash of colour on them, But the music continues apace, culminating in an encore where all the bands' kids come on stage to play and their mommies beat a trashcan to death (it's better than it sounds!)

The Dixie Chicks music is not for everyone, and their politics can be a put-off for some, but if you can get past those impediments, and are interested in experiencing one of the better live music recordings in the comfort of your own home, this could be one to check out.

 



No comments: